Amorphophallus Network

www.baumfarn.at

Baumfarne - Naturschutz - Samen - Aronstäbe

Post subject: Fern Identification
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:00 am 

Hello all,

Last year I have been on holiday to New Zealand and I was really amazed by the treeferns there. I bought a little packet of Ponga (Silver Fern) spores and grew a few tiny ferns of my own. The germination process was really cool to watch, although it takes quite a bit of patience! Now, I have three little ferns going well and unrolling larger and larger leaves.

There is one problem though, the ferns don't really look like a silver fern at all. The leaves are much lighter in color, less 'glossy', the stipe / rachis is green rather than brown, and, maybe most important, the underside of the fronds is not silvery. So I have some doubts as to what fern they have actually sold me, maybe somebody on this forum can tell me? Here are some pictures, if you click on them you can see a larger version:

Leaf:

Underside of leaf:

The whole plant:

Fuzzy picture trying to show the shape of the rachis:

After reading on this forum I learnt a lot of things already that I didn't know. For instance that treeferns grow roots from the crown downwards. So after looking carefully at my largest fern, I saw that it is actually also sending roots down from the 'armpit' of the leaves, so I have hopes that it still is an actual treefern.

Picture where on the lower right leaf you can see a root starting to grow (looks like a worm):

Well if anybody could help me identify my fern I would be really happy. I promise I will still take good care of my little ferns even if they are not treeferns after all :wink:

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fern Identification
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm 

Could be a dealbate Rick, it's way to soon to be able to tell.
The silver on the underside of the leaf only appears if the plant is bigger/older so don't worry about that.

Kind regards,
Remko.

Profile E-mail