Amorphophallus Network

www.baumfarn.at

Baumfarne - Naturschutz - Samen - Aronstäbe

Post subject: Dracunculus vulgaris help
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:52 am 

Hi, Does anyone know when these plants go dormant? Do they start to wake up in the cold? Or do the goto sleep in the cold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on where you're located (your profile doesn't give a hint!): Please define 'cold'.
Aroid.org tells:
Quote:
Dracunculus - 2 spp.
Dracunculus canariensis ?
Dracunculus vulgaris (Zone 5b St. Louis, MO, Springdale AR)-15F

But this is only true for outdoor plantation not for potted plants.
Also I would give them some protection.

AFAIK D.v. starts sprouting in spring.

greetings
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:07 pm 

Masterbaumfarn wrote:
Depends on where you're located (your profile doesn't give a hint!): Please define 'cold'.
Aroid.org tells:
Quote:
Dracunculus - 2 spp.
Dracunculus canariensis ?
Dracunculus vulgaris (Zone 5b St. Louis, MO, Springdale AR)-15F

But this is only true for outdoor plantation not for potted plants.
Also I would give them some protection.

AFAIK D.v. starts sprouting in spring.

greetings
Peter

I live in zone 8. But do they wake up with cold? at night right now it get between 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

ironious wrote:
I live in zone 8. But do they wake up with cold? at night right now it get between 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.

Seems warm enough but I don't have any personal, positive experience.

Many plants which are used to a cold season, need a significant temperature drop to start a new growth period.

greetings
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:24 pm 

They do not wake up with cold but with warmer temperatures after a cold period. This difference in temperature tells them that its going to be spring... :wink:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:28 pm 

Martina wrote:
They do not wake up with cold but with warmer temperatures after a cold period. This difference in temperature tells them that its going to be spring... :wink:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Yes thank you :D One last question. Should I be watering them? I ask because I have one the is starting to grow long roots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:11 pm 

As soon as the tuber grows roots I would pot it in slightly moist substrate. The substrate should be best mixed with perlite or sand to avoid rottenness. Start 'normal' watering when the leaf is full-grown.

Happy growing,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:16 am 

Martina wrote:
As soon as the tuber grows roots I would pot it in slightly moist substrate. The substrate should be best mixed with perlite or sand to avoid rottenness. Start 'normal' watering when the leaf is full-grown.

Happy growing,

Hmm damit. I have one with roots that I planted and watered and one of the same kind with out roots which I also planted and watered. You think they'll be alright if I dont water them again? Or should I diggem up to

Also Im getting an amorphophallus konjac. what are the care instructions for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

==> http://www.baumfarn.at/resources/Hardy%20Amorphophallus.pdf ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:29 pm 

Well, now I searched a bit and found the following information about D. vulgaris:

It seems that this species starts growing in fall (autumn) and has its main growing period in spring. That might make sense as in the original habitat winters are mild and rainy whilst summers are (very) dry. In climate similar to the mediterranean origin it is very easy to grow in the garden the whole year round. In colder areas it also starts growing in fall / winter but should be kept indoor or overwintered at a cool place.

Looks like you did it right 8) - sorry there is (as always) very different information but this is what experienced people said. :oops:

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:53 am 

Martina wrote:
Well, now I searched a bit and found the following information about D. vulgaris:

It seems that this species starts growing in fall (autumn) and has its main growing period in spring. That might make sense as in the original habitat winters are mild and rainy whilst summers are (very) dry. In climate similar to the mediterranean origin it is very easy to grow in the garden the whole year round. In colder areas it also starts growing in fall / winter but should be kept indoor or overwintered at a cool place.

Looks like you did it right 8) - sorry there is (as always) very different information but this is what experienced people said. :oops:

Cheers,

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:55 am 

Masterbaumfarn wrote:

This plant is not an Amorphophallus but is related. But I do have some Amorphophallus so thanks for the info! I needed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

ironious wrote:
This plant is not an Amorphophallus but is related. But I do have some Amorphophallus so thanks for the info! I needed it.

You asked for: Also Im getting an amorphophallus konjac. what are the care instructions for that?

:?:
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:08 am 

Oh yeah, sorry :oops: